Blue Cheese and Apple Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Preparation Time: 15min
Yields: 4 Servings
Total Time: 30min
- 3/8 cup Frozen Orange Juice concentrate, defrosted
- 2 1/2 tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Jalapeno Chile, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Red Onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Ancho Chile Powder
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Olive or Canola Oil (not Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 8 oz Baby Arugula
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored-halved and cut into 1/4” slices
- 4 oz Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
Combine all ingredients except the oil in a blender and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the oil and blend until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasoning with the Salt and Pepper. Blend again to incorporate Salt and Pepper.
FOR THE SALAD
Heat 1 tbsp. butter (unsalted) in a medium nonreactive sauté pan. Add Apples and sauté until golden brown. Once apples have caramelized add 3-4 tbsp. of Vinaigrette to Apples and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.
In a medium non reactive bowl add Arugula and toss with 4-5 tbsp. of the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide Arugula into 4 bowls and top each salad with the apples, walnuts and crumbled cheese.