Classic Potato Salad
Preparation Time: 30min
Yields: 8 Servings
Total Time: 45min
- 2 lbs of potatoes (Yukon gold or red bliss)
- ¼ cup cider vinegar, divided
- ¼ cup of cooking liquid from the boiled potatoes
- 2 large celery stalks, ¼ inch dice
- ½ medium Vidalia onion, ¼ inch dice
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet gherkins, ¼ inch dice
- 2 tbs pickle juice
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 pieces thick cut bacon, 3/8 inch dice, rendered
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise (we like Hellman’s)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (sorry, both the mayo and sour cream need to be full fat, for the best taste!)
Salty bacon, sweet pickles, crunchy celery and tangy cider vinegar make this potato salad a classic in my book. One of my summer time favorites!
FOR THE POTATOES
Place whole potatoes in a 6 Qt. saucepan and cover with water by an inch. Season water generously with salt (the water should taste like the ocean). Place heat on high and bring the pot to a boil. Once the potatoes come to a boil, reduce heat to a slow boil. Cook potatoes until just cooked, about 10-15 minutes (you will be able to feel a slight resistance just at the center of the potato when checked with a cake tester). Once the potatoes are done remove from the heat and drain with a colander, reserving a ¼ cup of the cooking liquid.
Cut potatoes to ½ inch dice, placing them in a large mixing bowl.
Mix the cooking liquid with two tablespoons of the cider vinegar and toss with the diced potato. Set aside
FOR THE DRESSING
While the potatoes are cooking, render the bacon dices in small skillet over medium low heat. (Start the bacon and a tablespoon of oil in a cold skillet over a med low heat) Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate when bacon is done cooking. In a large mixing bowl, add the mayo, sour cream, remaining cider vinegar, celery, onion, bacon, pickles, parsley and hard-boiled eggs. Taste! If you need to, add a couple of pinches of salt if needed. Mix well to combine, add the potatoes and gently fold into the dressing until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and if needed.
Can be served warm or cold! Can also be made a day ahead.