Southwest Quinoa with Cumin Chicken
Preparation Time: 20min
Yields: 4 Servings
Total Time: 1hr
- 4 medium Chicken Thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 14oz can Diced Tomatoes (preferably fire roasted)
- 2 cups Chicken Stock, low sodium
- 1/2 large Vidalia Onion, 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 Limes, squeezed
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Ancho Chile Powder, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Cumin, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Kosher Salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp. pureed Canned Chipotle
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil, divided
Preheat oven to 425F.
Place chicken thighs in a bowl and coat with 1 tbsp. olive oil, then place on foil-lined sheet pan and apply 1/2 tbsp of all of the spices. Place chicken in top 1/3 of oven, cook until juices run clear (about 20min); once cool, cut into 3/4“ dice.
While the chicken cooks, put 2 cups of chicken stock in a small saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil, then remove from heat and cover. Put remaining oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add onion and salt, and sweat the mixture for 10 minutes. Add quinoa and increase heat to medium-high, stirring often. Toast the quinoa until it’s brown and fragrant, then add stock and stir. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook quinoa until tender and all of the liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes). Add chicken, a lime, and cilantro. Season to taste with additional lime or salt. Chefs Tip: If you plan on eating this as a cold preparation you will need to be a little more aggressive with your salt and lime when seasoning!